Effective Date: April 28, 2017
Project Anime and the SPJA reserve the right to modify and/or update this policy at any time in their sole discretion and without prior notice.
What Information Is Collected and Why?
“Personally Identifiable Information” means any information that may be used to identify an individual, including, but not limited to, a first and last name, home or other physical address, and email address, phone number, and other billing and contact information.
We may collect information, including Personally Identifiable Information, from you, including:
- Registration information: When you purchase tickets for SPJA Events, register as an attendee (fan, industry or press), exhibitor, sponsor, panelist, workshop leader, press, photographer, or otherwise contact us about the event, we may collect Personally Identifiable Information from you, in order to provide services, events, and access to you.
- Service Logs: We may automatically receive and log certain technical information when you visit our site, including your IP address, browser type, cookie information, links you have followed, and the page(s) you have requested, in order to respond to your requests and protect and improve our services.
- Communication: When you communicate with us (through email, forms on this site, or other channels), we may retain those communications and contact information in order to respond to your requests, improve our services, and contact you in the future.
- Third-Party Services: When you use our site, we may partner with third parties, such as Eventbrite, Twitch, and ShareThis, to provide certain services, including advertising. When we share information with them, we do so in accordance with this policy. Those third parties may have different privacy policies, and we encourage you to read them.
When the collection of information is optional, we will indicate that on the relevant collection form.
Is Information Shared or Disclosed?
Except as listed above, Project Anime does not rent, sell, or share personal information it collects about you to or with third parties. Information collected from you is only used to support SPJA, your use of SPJA Event Sites, and to comply with any legal requirements.
SPJA may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (1) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on SPJA or any SPJA Event Sites; (2) protect and defend the rights or property of SPJA; or (3) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of SPJA, any of the SPJA Events, their services, or the public.
If SPJA should ever merge with or transfer its assets to another company, we may share your Personally Identifiable Information with any non-profit entity with whom we merge or to whom we transfer our assets, and such a successor will have the right to use such information in accordance with the terms of this policy.
How Do We Store and Protect Your Information?
SPJA protects the security of your information while it is being transmitted to us by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. In addition, once we receive payment information, we maintain that information in encrypted form on secure servers. Payments made by those registering to attend SPJA Events may be made to and through third-party service providers such as Eventbrite, whose privacy policies also apply to such payments.
Personally Identifiable Information collected on this site is stored and processed in the United States and in other countries.
We may retain your information as long as permitted or required under applicable laws.
How Do We Deal with Children’s Information?
Children can view the SPJA Event Sites without any Personally Identifiable Information being collected. However, in some areas of the SPJA Event Sites, it is necessary to collect Personally Identifiable Information from children. We do not collect more Personally Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13 than is necessary for them to participate in the SPJA Events. We obtain verifiable parental consent for the collection, use, or disclosure of such information by requiring the purchase of a corresponding ticket by an adult and verifying parental or guardian’s consent when SPJA Event tickets are collected at the event.
We will always honor a parent’s request for (1) a description of the specific types of personal information collected from their child by SPJA; and (2) removal of the information collected about their child from our database. If you would like to deactivate your child’s account, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Parents may obtain any Personally Identifiable Information collected from their child by emailing email@example.com.
How May We Update This Policy?
We may occasionally update this policy. When we do, we will also revise the “Effective Date” date above. If we make material changes, we will notify you either by placing a prominent notice on the home page of our site or by directly sending a notification to any users who have registered with us. We encourage you to periodically review this policy to stay informed about how we are protecting the information we collect. Your continued use of this site constitutes your agreement to any policy changes.
What Technical Choices Do You Have About Data Collection?
We currently do not participate in or utilize any frameworks that respond to “Do Not Track” signals from you.
How Should You Contact Us?
c/o The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation
1522 Brookhollow Dr., Suite 1
Santa Ana, CA. 92705
Terms of Participation and Release & Waiver
Terms of Participation and Liability Release & Waiver
By registering or participating in Anime Expo (AX) and or Project Anime (PA), you agree to be legally bound by SPJA’s Terms of Participation, Liability Release & Waiver, & SPJA Policies at www.project-anime.org/legal. PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY. Failure to agree and comply will deny you access to Anime Expo and or Project Anime.
Using this badge at AX and or PA confirms you read & agree to be bound by the Terms of Participation, Release & Waiver, & SPJA Policies at www.project-anime.org/legal. If not, please turn in the badge to SPJA and leave AX and or PA.
LAST UPDATED: 10/5/2020 Anime Expo, Project Anime and the SPJA reserve the right to modify and/or update this policy at any time in their sole discretion and without prior notice.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER. THE FOLLOWING TERMS OF PARTICIPATION INCLUDE A LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER AND ARE A LEGAL CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU, AN INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANT, OR A SINGLE ENTITY AND THE SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF JAPANESE ANIMATION (“SPJA”).
“Venue” means the facility at which the Event is held. “Official Hotels” are hotels that SPJA has explicitly designated for the Event. The “City” refers to the city in which the Event is held, such as the City of Los Angeles or Tokyo.
INDIVIDUALS: THE TERMS “YOU,” “YOUR,” AND “YOURS” REFERS TO YOU, THE INDIVIDUAL PERSON REGISTERING FOR AN SPJA EVENT OR USING AN SPJA WEBSITE. IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR ANOTHER PERSON, THEN YOU MUST ASK THEM TO AGREE TO READ AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION, AND GIVE THEM THEIR PRINTED TICKET INCORPORATES THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION. BY REGISTERING FOR, ATTENDING, VOLUNTEERING, OR PARTICIPATING IN ANIME EXPO, PROJECT ANIME, OR ANY OTHER SHOW, CONVENTION, MEETING, PANEL, WORKSHOP, OR EVENT PRODUCED BY SPJA (an “SPJA Event”), OR BY REGISTERING FOR, ACCESSING, BROWSING, DOWNLOADING FROM OR USING THE SPJA WEBSITE OR A WEBSITE FOR ANY EVENT PRODUCED BY SPJA, such as www.project-anime.org and www.project-anime.org (the “SPJA Websites”), YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND TO THE LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER INCLUDED HERE. IF AT ANY TIME YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATE YOUR PARTICIPATION IN AN SPJA EVENT OR TERMINATE YOUR USE OF THE SPJA WEBSITE.
1. INDIVIDUALS: THE TERMS “YOU,” “YOUR,” AND “YOURS” REFERS TO YOU, THE INDIVIDUAL PERSON REGISTERING FOR AN SPJA EVENT OR USING AN SPJA WEBSITE. IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR ANOTHER PERSON, THEN YOU MUST ASK THEM TO AGREE TO READ AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION, AND GIVE THEM THEIR PRINTED TICKET INCORPORATES THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION. BY REGISTERING FOR, ATTENDING, VOLUNTEERING, OR PARTICIPATING IN ANIME EXPO, PROJECT ANIME, OR ANY OTHER SHOW, CONVENTION, MEETING, PANEL, WORKSHOP, OR EVENT PRODUCED BY SPJA (an “SPJA Event”), OR BY REGISTERING FOR, ACCESSING, BROWSING, DOWNLOADING FROM OR USING THE SPJA WEBSITE OR A WEBSITE FOR ANY EVENT PRODUCED BY SPJA, such as www.project-anime.org and www.project-anime.org (the “SPJA Websites”), YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND TO THE LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER INCLUDED HERE. IF AT ANY TIME YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATE YOUR PARTICIPATION IN AN SPJA EVENT OR TERMINATE YOUR USE OF THE SPJA WEBSITE.
2. ORGANIZATIONS: IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR AN SPJA EVENT OR USING THE SPJA WEBSITE ON BEHALF OF A COMPANY, ENTITY, OR ORGANIZATION (COLLECTIVELY, A “PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATION”) THEN YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU: (I) ARE AN AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF THAT PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATION WITH THE AUTHORITY TO BIND SUCH ORGANIZATION; (II) HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION; AND (III) AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION ON BEHALF OF SUCH SUBSCRIBING ORGANIZATION AND ANYONE PARTICIPATING IN AN SPJA EVENT FOR AND ON YOUR ORGANIZATION’S BEHALF.
4. LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER
- a. GENERAL LIABILITY RELEASE. You agree that your participation in any SPJA Event is voluntary. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SOME SPJA EVENTS AND SOME ACTIVITIES AT SPJA EVENTS, SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TO DANCING, ROLE PLAYING, COSPLAY, STANDING IN LINES, AND BEING IN LARGE CROWDS, HAVE INHERENT RISKS AND DANGERS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ACTS OF TERRORISM, DEATH, INJURY AND SERIOUS BODILY HARM TO YOUR PERSON AND/OR PROPERTY. YOU AGREE THAT AS A CONDITION OF BEING PERMITTED TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY ACTIVITY AT AN SPJA EVENT, YOU ASSUME AND ACCEPT ALL RISKS OF HARM, LOSS, OR INJURY TO YOUR PERSON OR PROPERTY THAT MAY ARISE FROM OR BE RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN SUCH ACTIVITY.
- b. AND/OR COMMUNICABLE DISEASES. You acknowledge that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and/or communicable diseases exists in any public place where people are present. By participating in an SPJA Event, you and any guests agree that you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and/or communicable diseases. You agree to comply with SPJA event policies and rules, including but not limited to all Social Distancing policies, guidelines, signage, and instructions related to COVID-19 and/or communicable diseases.
- c. YOU HEREBY WAIVE AND RELEASE, indemnify, and hold harmless SPJA, the City, the Venue, the Official Hotels, and their respective officers, directors, members, employees, agents, affiliates, contractors, volunteers, managers, sponsors, funders, attendees, public officials, vendors, successors and assigns (“Released Parties”), from any and all demands, damages, losses, liabilities, causes of action, lawsuits, attorneys’ fees, costs, and/or claims of every kind and nature, whether known or unknown, in law or equity, that You ever had or may have, arising from or in any way related to Your participation in an SPJA Event or your use of an SPJA Website, including acts or omissions by third parties such as emergency or medical providers and vendors of food, drink, or alcohol. SPJA reserves the right, at Your expense, to assume the defense and control of any matter for which You are required to indemnify SPJA, and You agree to cooperate with SPJA’s defense of these claims. SPJA will use reasonable efforts to notify You of any such claim, action, or proceeding upon SPJA learning of any such claim, action, or proceeding. You agree that You will participate only in SPJA Event activities that You are qualified to participate in. You are aware that SPJA Events will be conducted in facilities open to the public. You agree and warrant that if at any time You believe conditions of any SPJA Event activity to be unsafe, You will immediately discontinue further participation in any such activity. You intend and desire for this Waiver and Liability Release to be interpreted as broadly as permitted under California law. This Waiver and Liability Release does NOT apply to any acts of gross negligence or intentional, willful, or wanton misconduct on the part of any Released Party. If You become ill or are injured during Your participation of an SPJA Event, You authorize SPJA, the Venue, or any Official Hotel to seek and obtain such emergency or medical services as may be deemed necessary or appropriate at the time, but understand and agree that they shall not be obligated to do so, and that the liability release and waiver above applies to the provision of such emergency or medical care or services. You may be billed and agree to pay for any such services, including ambulance transport.
5. DAMAGE YOU CAUSE. You agree that if You break, deface, damage, or destroy any real or personal property, or hurt or injure another person, in connection with Your participation in an SPJA Event, including but not limited to the property of SPJA, the Venue, any Official Hotel, or the City, You shall be solely and personally liable and responsible for paying any and all costs to repair or replace such property, injury and care of such persons, and incidental or consequential damages relating to the damaged property or personal injury.
6. MODIFICATION OF THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND POLICIES. SPJA reserves the right, at its discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these TOP and SPJA Policies at any time without prior notice. If SPJA changes these TOP, we will provide you notice of these changes, by sending an email, posting a notice on the SPJA Website or updating the “Last Updated” date on the SPJA Websites. Please check these TOP and any SPJA Policies periodically for any changes. Your continued participation in SPJA Events and use of SPJA Websites after the posting of any policy change constitutes your binding acceptance of such change. For any material changes to these TOP, the amended terms will automatically be effective thirty days after they are initially posted on an SPJA Website unless you contact us to discuss any questions or comments during that time period. We will always make a reasonable effort to notify you if we do change these TOP.
7. GENERAL TERMS. No waiver or amendment of any provision of these TOP will be effective unless in writing. These TOP shall be construed using the laws of the State of California, except as they may apply to conflicts of law. The language in all parts of these TOP shall be construed as a whole in accordance with its fair meaning, not for or against any party, and without regard to any statutes that provide for the language of an agreement to be construed against the drafter. If any provision herein is determined to be unenforceable, that provision shall be severed, and all other provisions shall remain in effect. You consent to the jurisdiction of any federal or state court within the County of Los Angeles, State of California. These TOP shall bind and be for the benefit of Yourself, SPJA, and each of the respective party’s heirs, fiduciaries, successors, and assigns. You have not relied upon any promise, representation, or warranty in signing these TOP. These TOP will continue in full force and effect even after the conclusion of the Event. You understand and agree that your electronic submission of agreement to these TOP constitutes an electronic signature that is as legally binding as your signature on a hard copy of the Waiver. Further, You agree that no certification authority or other third-party verification is required to validate this electronic signature, and that the lack of such certification or third-party verification shall not in any way affect the legal enforceability of these TOP.
YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF THIS PARTICIPATION AND LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER, AND SUBMIT THIS REGISTRATION FORM VOLUNTARILY, OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL AND FREE OF PRESSURE, DURESS, OR THREAT OF DURESS. I HAVE READ THESE ENTIRE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND THE SPJA POLICIES AT WWW.PROJECT-ANIME.ORG/LEGAL CAREFULLY. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY ACCEPTING THESE TOP AND LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER, YOU HAVE GIVEN UP CONSIDERABLE FUTURE LEGAL RIGHTS. YOUR CHECKING THE BOX SAYING THAT YOU AGREE OR SUBMITTING THIS REGISTRATION APPLICATION IS PROOF THAT YOU INTEND AND AGREE TO SIGN AND BE FULLY BOUND BY A COMPLETE AND UNCONDITIONAL WAIVER AND RELEASE OF ALL LIABILITY OF THE RELEASED PARTIES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.